Wintertime salads like this one are every bit in season thanks to the always favorite combo of flavors of sweet glazed pecans, roasted beets and goat cheese that are always ready and available. And when fresh grilled shrimp is a topper, you’ve just made yourself an entire meal in one bowl.
This post is in partnership with DeLallo Foods
I love winter. I love the snow. I love the cocooning and snuggling and general laze winter allows us to justify. And while I’m still obsessively checking my Weather app and welcoming every prediction of snowfall as if it was the first of the season—thanks Punxsutawney Phil—I do have to admit I am missing myself some rays of warm sunshine.
Here in Northern Utah the skies have either been weeping with snow, cloudy and gray, or seeped in a valley inversion ever since Christmas. And I have to admit, it’s starting to get to me. I’m not normally one to get the moody blues, not even a tinge of baby blues, but I can tell that missing my source of Vitamin D (Mr. Sunshine) has been messing with my psyche.
Lately I’ve been really good at keeping my head down and sort of numbly going through the motions while ignoring a lot of what else is going on around me. So if you haven’t received an e-mail back from me, fear not, you are not alone.
But today, I’m ready to break the spell, even if the clouds aren’t ready to break around me. I’ve doled out my supply of supplements, I spent an extra 20 minutes on Giselle (and sadly finished the last episode of The Crown and it was.so.good!) and I made my healthyish list of meal plans for the week.
And that’s why I think today is the perfect time to share this bright winter salad with spring greens.
This salad is an easy one to throw together for a quick weeknight dinner or to prep ahead for weekday lunch, especially if you find yourself lunching al desko. The only prep involved is cooking up your favorite size of shrimp (I’m a large to extra large shrimp kinda gal) that you can serve warm or cold, and then mixing up one of my favorite salad dressings.
It’s a simple dressing of extra virgin olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, a bit of sugar or honey, and minced shallots. The flavor of the white balsamic lends a cleaner not quite as syrupy taste as the more well-known dark balsamic. The minced shallots add just the right amount of onion flavor and a little heat, that I love. I like to keep it simple, and easily transporatable or storageable (making up my own words now), and shake my dressing in a glass canning jar.
The rest of the ingredients are so easy to keep on hand or take to work, especially when using DeLallo Salad Savors. Salad Savors come in multiple flavor combos, are pre-portioned, and are ready to add to any lunch or simple dinner time feast.
Good salad eating—even in the midst of winter—really is this simple, and will surely take the blues right out of your day.
Check out how it all comes together in the video below.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Green Salad with Shrimp, Beets, Glazed Pecans and Goat Cheese
Sweet glazed pecans, roasted beets and goat cheese are added to fresh grilled shrimp over fresh spring lettuces to create a healthy meal in one bowl.
- For the Salad
- 6 cups spring mix lettuces
- 12 large shrimp, shelled and deveined with tails removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 package DeLallo Tangy Salad Savors (marinated beets, sweet pecans and goat cheese)
- 1/2 cup marinated beets
- 1/4 cup glazed pecans
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. In a small bowl, add the shrimp and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes undisturbed on each side or until golden. Transfer to a bowl and squeeze the lemon over the shrimp and toss.
- Place the lettuces in a large bowl and top with the shrimp, beets, glazed pecans and sprinkle with the goat cheese. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
- For the Dressing
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl or a small jar fitted with a lid. Whisk well or shake well. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Hey, thanks for stopping by, make it a great day and make something good in the kitchen.
This post is in partnership with DeLallo Foods. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Thanks for reading and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Subscribe and have every FoodieCrush post delivered straight to your e-mail inbox